Sunday, October 24, 2010

Do I homeschool for religious reasons? Yes.

I used to make it perfectly clear from the get-go that I did not start homeschooling for religious reasons.  After giving it a little more thought, I decided that I do, in part, homeschool for religious reasons.  I homeschool so my kids are not required to pledge allegiance to the flag "under God."  I homeschool so my kids won't be pestered (like I was in school) with the question that served as a litmus test for friendship:  "Do you believe in God?"  In my experience, school and our society is quite Christian-oriented and those who are not Christian (be they humanist, atheist, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc.) can easily feel marginalized.

This does not mean we stay at home and avoid people who are not "like us."  We have deep friendships and many relationships with families who have very different religious beliefs than ours.  The one thing we have in common is a tolerance for differing religious views and compassion for everyone regardless of their religious views.

So, yes, we do homeschool for religious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment