Sunday, October 24, 2010

the effect of homeschooling on the parents

The more I talk to other homeschooling parents, the more I hear "I am getting the education I never got in school!"  I have yet to see any research on the effects of homeschooling on parental knowledge and world understanding.  Has anyone else?  I have learned so much more world history than I knew before I started homeschooling my kids.  The history coops in which we have participated for the last 7 years (wow, has it been that long?) have sparked so many great discussions among the parents that wouldn't have happened if our kids had been in traditional, institutional school settings.  Since our history coops have included people from varying political and religious backgrounds, I have learned so much and had my tolerance tested.

Because of homeschooling, I have also read more books than I ever would have--both children's literature and books on education and learning.  Grad school was hard, but this is just as hard...and the consequences of my "studying" are more important to me.  I am not just getting a grade, I am trying to give my kids the best learning environment possible.


Anyone else have something to add?  What have you learned?  How have you grown as a person/parent because of homeschooling?  How do you think these effects on homeschooling parents affects our society/community, if at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment