Monday, October 25, 2010

i think a little regulation can be a good thing

From my conversations with other homeschoolers, I think many want to be completely unregulated and undocumented.  I don't happen to agree with this.  Is there any part of our life that is completely unregulated?  We are members of a society and global community--no (wo/)man is an island, right?  We have rights and privileges because of our membership and we have responsibilities because of our membership.  I think that assuring some level of learning or education for our children is part of our responsibilities as world citizens.  I realize that the sticky part comes with definitions.  Different people define "learning" and "education" in different ways. 

When I was in another State homeschooling, there were virtually no homeschooling regulations.  We were left alone and we were on our own.  I know that people before me fought hard to allow homeschooling at all, and I appreciate it because I truly feel homeschooling should be an option.  However, after I moved to a State with a moderate (according to HSLDA) amount of regulations, I found more opportunities for homeschooling.  This also had to do with city size, I am sure, but in my previous State most homeschoolers wanted absolutely nothing to do with the public school system.  In my current State, homeschoolers are allowed by law to participate part-time in public schools.  Granted, I have heard that different districts are more or less friendly and helpful allowing homeschoolers in, but at least the law is there to back up any homeschooler who attempts to participate.  Currently, my kids participate in a homeschool enrichment program offered by a public school district.  We can check out all kinds of curricula for free (if we want it), my kids love it, we are not hassled by the schools in any way, the program is very parent-driven and managed by a homeschooling mom.  The school district gets to count the kids in the program and gets funding based on our participation.  To me, it is a win-win situation.  The only extra regulation in my current State we are subjected to is alternate year evaluations (which is liberally defined).

Homeschoolers, speak out!  How do you feel about regulation?

1 comment:

  1. I happen to agree with you. I knew/know a few children who really were NOT being educated at all, because the parent didn't want to get them to school, didn't want to deal with a truancy officer, and certainly did not want to teach their children themselves. They could get away with it by saying they were homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete